Thursday, October 23, 2008

All I ever really needed to learn I learned in grad school

ALL I EVER REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT MYSELF I LEARNED IN GRAD SCHOOL
I need to keep it simple
I know how to live off the bare essentials of survival
I need to care about what I am doing, because whatever it is, it’s worth finishing
I have the right to free speech and the right to be heard
I don’t need someone to tell me what to do; I have the ability to make my own decisions
I don’t need to be evaluated or told what I’m worth, I already know
I need to be accountable for myself
I need time for myself, to pursue my interests
I need to play an active role in my community
I deserve to be and can be trusted
I know there isn’t always someone watching me,
I have nothing to hide
I don’t have a set place in society; who I am and what I do could change tomorrow if I want it to
I’m just one person in the world, but I know that what I am doing can make a difference
I know what I believe in and I’m passionate about it
I know that if I don’t do it myself, no one else is going to do it for me
I am in control of my future

Everything you need to know to be a self sustained adult is in there

Think of what a better world it would it would be if we kept life simple, were accountable for our own actions, and didn’t always look over our shoulder to see if anyone was watching. And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out into the world make sure you are an active part of your community and know that you can make a difference.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The title and the content seem a little disjointed. You should at least provide examples what in particular about grad school taught you those things. Otherwise, I could say you just learned those things by growing up and getting older.

Dan Toogood said...

well I was growing up and getting older as I was in grad school...before that I was basically a ventriloquist doll to certain people and our education system :)

Dan Toogood said...

you could of course apply it to any life changing experience you had that involved these lessons. For me all of these really hit home in the last 2 years.